Thursday, November 29, 2007

Hello from Cairns!


I am typing this from an internet cafe in Cairns, as I can't really face finding a McDonalds to see if they have wireless access and I felt the need to be with my fellow backpackers. The flight from Singapore to Melbourne was pretty uneventful. I keep falling asleep watching the movies and for some reason the Emirates planes from Dubai onwards are really old, so that you can't watch movies on demand, unless the stewardess gives you a cassette to load into your seat. All a bit too much of a hassle for me, so that I think I have watched different parts of Transformers three times!

The guy sitting next to me was returning from Iran (where he works) to Melbourne for Xmas and New Year. He helped me to fill in the customs declaration form. Ok, not that it was difficult or anything, but some of the questions were ambigious. You need to declare food (fresh, dried or preserved) but is chocolate a food? Anne (who is from Melbourne) told me to declare everything if in doubt and I guess it was also the lawyer in me reading too much into the questions. If there was a box for carrying deadly bactewria, I would have ticket that, as with all the long flights, my smelly dirty washing could have walked off the plane itself and contaminated the clean air for miles! Three flights in less than a week - I dread to think what my carbon footprint is so far.

Everyone at Melbourne airport was really friendly - it only took me 30 minutes to go through immigration, collect my bags and get checked at customs. Ok, so it was 2am in the morning, but you also don't get the aggressive "Why are you coming to America" spiel as you do in the States. I don't really get that attitude, especially as people would rather live in Australia (sorry for anyone from the US reading this, but it's true!).

I am feeling like a complete zombie and think an early night is in order. I only managed about 1 hours' sleep at the airport hotel. I don't know if it is because I was overtired or overexcited but my body has no idea what time zone it is in - the hours are chopping and changing at the drop of a hat. It didn't help this morning that I got completely stung by excess baggage charges with Virgin Blue. It cost me $100 (about 45 quid) because I was 20 kilos overweight - I was so concerned about the weight of my hand luggage that I put all my heavy things in my check in luggage. It is not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but the most annoying thing is that they have recently changed their charging policy, so that each extra bag was charged at the bargain price of $20 per bag. It is one of the reasons I booked Virgin Blue but then you do pay for what you get!

Cairns reminds me of Blackpool or some other dodgy seaside town back at home. Not sure I really like it and I am also not sure if there is much to do in the evenings apart from go to a bar and get drunk. You would think that the diving mecca of Australia would have dive shops galore stocked with every product a diver could want but not so in this place. I do feel a bit like I am in the back of beyond.

I went into a shop today which sold digeridoos (is that how it is spelt?!!!!). They had some really nice ones and the guy let me have a go. You have to wobble your lips, which is harder than it seems. Needless to say, notwithstanding my rubber, I was completely useless at it. I don't think Vernon would be too impressed if I sent one back for the house though.

I had dinner tonight at an Italian restaurant (see picture above) - the portions were huge, even by my standards. I am officially off seafood (well, temporarily anyway) - I have developed a minor rash on my face, and I think that it is a mild allergy to it (which I have had before). If I am not careful I will turn into a prawn and get eaten by some turtle whilst I am diving! One thing I did notice on the menu was "bugs" (ie, with pasta or potatoes or even seafood) What on earth are these - any ideas, Anne? If they are the critters themselves, then that sounds revolting.

Anyway, I can't seem to shake off this bug and I am concerned that my cold will stop me diving. I have also noticed that one of my bits of equipment is not working, which is great, considering I have and will continue to lug it halfway around the world. I am catching the liveaboard at 5pm to the Coral Sea tomorrow, which I am very excited about (first dive in 18 months!). Hopefully I will have some pictures to show you next time.

No comments: