Friday, November 30, 2007

Diving Dummy

I went to a shop this morning, which sells Ikelite underwater dive equipment, to ask if they could replace my broken charger, only to find out that it was working after all! I felt like a complete buffoon, bearing in mind that my dive equipment had been in hibernation for the last three years. The yellow light kept flashing on the charger when it was charging the battery and the instruction booklet said that when this happens, there is something wrong with the charger and/or the battery. I thought that the charger might have been damaged in transit, as one of the metal prongs was missing. Anyway, apparently that is how they are designed and the instruction booklet should have said that intermittent flashing means the battery is fully charged - doh! Partly not my fault though, as my model has been upgraded, as has the instruction booklet, so maybe other people made the same mistake as me.

I had lunch at a burger and grill place earlier and in the toilet they had a novelty toilet seat with a couple of redback spiders. Ok, so I know that it wasn't real, but I couldn't bring myself to park my bottom there. Whilst on the dunny (that's Australian for loo, isn't it?), I suddenly jumped up to check there were no spiders lurking under the toilet. I had forgotten about them - must be more careful in future, as I can't afford to be bitten on the bum this early on in the trip. Mind you, Julie did my tarot cards before I left home and saw no period of hospitalisation over the next few months, so fingers crossed she is right!

I have been informed by the Aussie guru (Anne) that a bug is a Moreton Bay Bug, which is a type of lobster and apparently very delicious. I may try it next week provided my seafood allergy has gone.

Cairns is growing on me a bit and I feel much better than yesterday, even though I woke up today with my head full of cold and a blocked nose, which was not a good sign. I've been to the pharmacist to get cough mixture, cold tablets, echinaea and vitamin c to dose up today before diving tomorrow. I am in a bit of a drug induced haze at the moment. To cheer myself up because I can't shake off this horrible bug, I did a spot of shopping and bought some clothes to replace what feels like my rather depleted wardrobe. That will add another 2 kilos to the excess baggage charges!!

I am now sitting by the pool at the hotel to wait for my pick up for the liveaboard. The Hotel Cairns is nice and laid back, although when I ask some of the staff things, they look at me as if I am from Planet Zod. Also, isn't technology great, being able to type this on my laptop using the hotel's wireless internet connection. Another not so great reason for being a technology junkie is that I have a plastic bag full of various chargers and leads for my computer, IPOD, two cameras, dive battery etc etc. You name it, I have it. I also keep thinking I have left various things in the hotel room which I have forgotton to pick up, but they must be in the depths of all my stuff somewhere.

I also remember reading that the TAKA liveaboard has wireless internet access onboard but I daren't ask in case I come across as a bit of an idiot. Anyway, if you don't hear from me for a few days, it is because I am stuck out at sea.

Tarah for now.
xx

No comments: