Tuesday, January 22, 2008

All Alone in Fiji











On Thursday 17 January, we did two more dives in the soft coral, at Rusi's Pinnacle (Rusi is the captain of the boat, a divemaster and with over 20,000 dives) and Golden Arches. There is a wreck at Rusi's Pinnacle, which was deliberately sunk in 2002 to give more variety to the dive sites and at Golden Arches there were a few swim throughs in the coral pinnacles. We saw about 8 baby reef sharks and a giant stone fish (which is gives you a nasty sting if you are unfortunate to touch it). I also took some other photos (see above).

I was diving with three other people in Lagoon Resort on Tuesday and Wednesday but they returned home to Melbourne and I was the only person staying there. Occupancy rates in the resort have fallen quite significantly in the last couple of years, as there have been a number of coups, the last one being in May 2007. Whilst you don't feel unsafe in Pacific Harbour, it has affected tourist numbers to Fiji. Jim has been keeping me entertained over dinner with his stories of his travels through Europe and Asia in his 20s, his life in Fiji (he has been here for 20 years after having owning his own life insurance business in New Zealand) and the filming of Anacondas. I did manage to watch Anacondas on DVD and I was correct - it is not one of the great masterpieces.

I really enjoyed diving in Fiji and it was nice to have the afternoons free to relax, watch DVDs, go for walks and go kayaking down the river (when we got completely soaked in the rain). On Sunday 20 January I went for a three hour walk around Pacific Harbour, but it was so hot and humid I practically wilted by the end of it. Cyclone Funi, which hit Vanuatu at the end of the week, passed by the western and south-west part of Viti Levu on Saturday evening but we only had slight choppy seas and some winds.

I experienced the true meaning of Fiji time when I checked into the airport on Monday morning. There were about 8 people in front of me, but it took 45 minutes to get to the check in desk. Air New Zealand are one of the most disorganised airlines I have ever flown with. The earlier flight to Auckland was delayed, as was my flight but it took over 20 minutes before I was told that I could leave on the earlier flight. I think that was the reason why it took so long to ceck in- the computer could not handle the fact that the earlier flight had not yet left. Hello - are we not in the 21st century?!!! I was, however, upgraded to business class, as there were no seats left in economy class but I left my bag in a heap of other bags which didn't look like they were going anywhere. I think the conveyor belt had packed in. I had visions of me arriving in Bankok with half my luggage somewhere still in the Pacific but luckily my bags arrived in Auckland. Air New Zealand's planes look like remnants from the 70s - business class is outdated and they still have the large TV screens at the front of the cabin where a lot of airlines ditched those a long time ago.

I am now back in Sydney for one night, having spent Monday evening in Rangiora. I was quite sad to leave New Zealand, as I have grown quite fond of the various animals and the rellies have really made me feel at home. Everything in New Zealand also feels wonderfully laid back, such that I feel nice and relaxed - hopefully prepared for the hectic pace of life and rip off merchants in Bangkok.
I am slowly getting up to date with my blog and will be finished adding more photos shortly. If you have time, please check back to see if the photos have been added - at least it will give you some idea of what I have been doing rather than ust reading my daily ramblings!

No comments: