Sunday, January 13, 2008

Snorkelling in Kaikoura











This morning (Sunday 13th January) we went snorkelling in Kaikoura. The itinerary says that we were supposed to snorkel "within a couple of feet of native New Zealand Fur Seals as they cavort in the water". Unfortunately we arrived to start the snorkelling late and as some of the group were catching flights out of Christchurch in the afternoon, we weren't able to snorkel where originally planned. The water was pretty choppy and a cool 16 degrees (luckily we were supplied with 7mm wets0uits). I saw a few cold water fish and the huge kelp trees were pretty amazing. Other than that and feeling a bit seasick with the waves, there wasn't much to see and I think I stick with tropical waters.

Kaikoura lies almost midway between Picton and Christchurch (see photo of the coast where there are plenty of seals. The town is in the "sunbelt" of New Zealand, 191lm south-east of Blenheim and can boast plenty of sunshine hours a year. The name Kaikoura means "meal of crayfish" and was given to the area by a Maori chief called Tamatea. According to legend, he found the crayfish so good that he stopped here to eat some while pursuing his runaway wives who were eventually transformed into greenstone in westland. Maoridom regards the area as a place of historical significance. It was here that the demi-god Maui fished up the North Island from the sea.

I am now back in Christchurch (Rangiora) for a night, having done all my washing. I am off to Fiji tomorrow for a week's diving, although I have heard that it has been raining a bit there. I came back to Darren and Shane's only to discover a few new additions to Rangiora Zoo! Some little chicks and a new chocolate cocker spaniel puppy (Drew - short for Drewfus because she looks a bit gormless - see photo) She is cute though and a sprightly young thing. She follows you all around the house. I went to the loo I suddenly heard a yelp when I think I accidentally brained her when I shut the door. Poor thing. We took the dogs for a walk along Waikuku Beach (see picture at sunset).

No comments: