Sunday, December 30, 2007

All quiet on the NZ front











It has been a quiet few days here in Rangiora, so as you can see the blog has been a bit neglected. On Boxing Day, Shane took us to a shopping mall and as the sales had started, it was absolutely heaving. I have been having cravings for a decent curry and was ecstatic to see that there was a curry counter at the food court in the mall. It tasted ok but wasn't hot and spicy enough. Unfortunately the chicken tikka masala was a bright red colour and I dread to think how many E numbers there were in it. I am surprised I wasn't climbing the walls! Luckily we only suffered one more day of eating the turkey, although I wasn't able to persuade my mum to make turkey curry (boo hoo - she is not a big curry fan). I know I keep going on about getting my curry fix, but when you are used to eating it often (and with a triple dose of chillis when Julie and I make it), you really get withdrawal symptoms. Thailand here we come.

On 27th December, Darren drove us to Akaroa in Banks Peninsula. Banks Peninsula was formed following violent eruptions of two volcanoes. The twin craters nurse the picturesque harbours of both Akaroa and Lyttleton (which we saw from the top of Christchurch gondola on Christmas Eve). The Ngai Tahu tribe had already discovered the charm of the peninsula before Captain Cook sighted it in 1770 when he initially mistook it for an island. From the mid 1830s onwards, settlers arrived from both British and French colonies, which influence is still prevalent today.

Akaroa is 84km south east of Christchurch and perched on the edge of a deep volcanic harbour. The journey takes 1.5 hours and includes some spectacular views (see photo of me, my mum and dad). Akaroa has British, French and Maori heritage and is considered one of Canterbury's first established townships. Visitors can swim with rare Hector's dolphins or see white flippered penguins or New Zealand's fur seal colony. Did we partake in any of these cultural delights? No, of course not - after a picnic by the beach, we went shopping instead and ended up in the pearl shop.

Akaroa Blue Pearl is Akaroa's leading manufacturers of handmade, high quality, blue pearl jewellery. Blue pearls are a mabe pearl, cultured in the New Zealand Abalone Shell (Haliotis Iris, which is also commonly known in New Zealand as Paua). Rather than being the traditional whole pearl shape, it is a hemispherical flat back pearl - an ideal shape for pendants, earrings and brooches. True to form I did buy myself a pearl but looking at the best quality pearls first meant that everything else paled into significance. Darren managed to persuade me to buy the most expensive of the three I had my eye on (ie twice the price of the one I wanted to buy), on the basis that I would kick myself if I didn't. That has completely blown the budget, as I bought a loose pearl and will have it set in Dubai (with diamonds of course!) and I am still in shock. Thanks Darren - but it is lovely. Baked beans on toast for the rest of the trip I think.

Mum and dad flew back to Sydney for New Year on 28th December and now the real partying has started (only joking!). I have become quite fond of all the animals chez Darren and Shane. I even discovered another aviary with more birds and parrots which I hadn't noticed before, as it was tucked away in some corner of the garden. Holly and Benson (the long-haired dachshunds)are really cute, so much so that Darren bought them some santa outfits in the sale (see photo). They are sprightly young things but as soon as the outfits were on, they didn't move an inch, probably because they were totally shell shocked by wearing a straight jacket. Bart the cat has also taken a liking to me and he is sitting by the computer as I type this blog. He also has a habit of coming to visit you whilst you are on the loo but he has stopped giving me frights in the night. Arku the parrot is two years old and likes lots of attention. He will squawk and shriek when you are not in the room and if he knows you are in the kitchen he will say "Hello" and "What're you doing." They are great animals.

Yesterday I decided to check out the sales in Christchurch and it was a really pleasant experience, as there was hardly anyone in town. There were some good bargains to be had.

Today (Sunday 30th) we drove to Manuka Bay and Gore Bay (see photo of me), which is 115km north east of Christchurch and not far from two great fishing rivers, the Waiau and the Hurunui. Known as one of the safest beaches to surf, Gore Bay offers wild pounding surf at one end of the spectrum and peaceful streams amongst pockets of native forest at the other. On the road just above Gore Bay, you also have views of the Cathedral Rocks, which are formed of limestone (see photo). I also got to experience Shane's white knuckle ride driving - 140km down the highway overtaking all those Sunday drivers - not for the faint hearted and I am sure a I have gained a few extra grey hairs! We have seen some lovely properties for sale in that area, with stunning views over the sea. Maybe I should use the proceeds of the sale of my flat to buy a property and Vernon and I can retire to the wip wops. I think Darren and Shane like the idea of living in a granny flat in the country.

Tomorrow I am going on a two week adventure trip around the South Island. First stop is a sheep station near Mount Cook and on New Year's Day we will be taking a walk up near Mount Cook. Apparently it is quite a tough day, which will be interesting, as I have been practically sitting on my backside for the last two weeks. The weather was really nice today (it got up to the 20s!) but a cold front is coming in, so I have made sure that I have plenty of thermals. I am not sure how much internet access will be available when I am away, so if I do not update the blog, do not panic! I am probably having a really good time somewhere.

As I will be the first of anyone to celebrate New Year (albeit with a few sheep), I will wish you all a Happy New Year and see you in 2008.

No comments: