Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Another Wedding



I am being eaten alive by mosquitos! For some reason they like my blood. Apparently if you eat lots of sugar, they like the taste of sweet blood and it probably doesn't help that I eat a lot of fruit and veg, chocolate and red wine. I am itching like a mad monkey - garlic and spicy food is also supposed to ward them off, but I eat tons of the stuff and it doesn't seem to help. Anyway, I have stocked up on 80% proof deet and if that doesn't keep the buggers away, I don't know what will.

My uncle Anthony (my mum's brother) got married in Sydney Registry Office today (see the photo above). His wife is originally from Shanghai and lives in Hong Kong but as she doesn't speak English, my mum had to translate the whole of the ceremony. I imagine it is quite difficult trying to translate "I do solemnly and sincerely declare that I know not of any lawful impediment.......". After the ceremony we went for the obligatory dim sum for lunch. Dinner was four hours later but to kill time I went to the Outback Centre in Darling Harbour where there is a half hour show by an Aboriginal guy playing the didgeridoo and telling us about its history and how it is played (see photo above). It has inspired me to practice on the one I bought in Cairns although I will probably be pretty crap at it.

For dinner we had a 10 course banquet with lots of seafood. Sharks fin soup was on the menu, which I haven't had in years but I wouldn't order it myself now, as it is not ethical in the way in which the sharks are killed. They cut off their fins and throw the shark back in the water and leave the poor thing to suffer a painful death. I must weigh a good few kilos heavier after spending the last few days eating. I have set the alarm for an early jog tomorrow - at least the thighs are no longer stiff from the 10km run I did on Saturday.

No comments: