Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas near Christchurch











We arrived in Christchurch on Monday 24th December to stay with my cousin Darren and his partner Shane, who live in Rangiora, which is in North Canterbury and about 30 minutes drive away from Christchurch. During the afternoon we went up Christchurch cable car, which gives you spectacular views over the city (see photo). Darren and Shane's place is like being on a farm, with numerous lovebirds and a parrot in the house, two sausage dogs (Holly and Benson), another dog (Karma) (see photo), a cat (Bart) and various white doves, ducks and peacocks which roam around in the garden. Most of the animals seem to get on with each other. Last night I was up late updating my blog but I could hear the dogs barking a few times and thought I heard the wooden floorboards creaking outside in the dead of night. My imagination was running away with me as usual. Bart is about 20 years old and as black as the ace of spades - I was sleeping on the sofa and could hear him purring away and when I turned to look at where he was, he was staring me out, inches away from my face. It frightened the life of out of me.

Today (Christmas Day) we cracked open the sparkling wine at about 10.30am and I felt pretty sozzled by about lunchtime (and we hadn't even had the turkey by that point). I played boules in the garden for the first time ever and ended up being the Handforth champion - I think the booze must have helped but then again, much to Vernon's annoyance, I have always been a bit of a pool hustler, so my skill must have rubbed off! The turkey was delicious (as were the cold turkey sandwiches we had later) and Shane made the biggest trifle I have ever seen. It was delicious but we all felt so stuffed from pigging out earlier in the day.

Hope you all have a great Christmas and enjoy the turkey. We missed the Queen's speech earlier, which is probably just as well, as I won't be able to spoil it for you. Enjoy!

No comments: